A very fine quality early Victorian inkstand in sterling silver which has a serpentine-shaped form.
Either end of the inkstand incorporates an impressive cast and applied shell handpiece .
This antique hallmarked silver inkstand is supported by four impressive cast feet.
The body of the inkstand incorporates two shaped glass ink holders,which have silver lids. The centre incorporates an exceptional sterling silver chamberstick and snuffer, which surmounts a round holder for sealing wax .
The inkstand was made in London in 1840 by John Wrangham and William Moulson; for The Reverend Frederick Anson ,1811-1885, who was Canon of St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle. The inkstand was then bequeathed to his son F H Anson in 1869 and then gifted to Samuel Bosanquet who married his daughter in 1911. The inkstand is also engraved with the crest to the front of the Earls of Lichfield to whom the Anson family were members. The dedication inscription is to the underneath.
The inkstand is in superb condition with all detachable parts correctly hallmarked.
Dimensions, length 34 cm, width 22.5 cm from shells to shell, height 14 cm.
Weight, 47 troy oz, excluding the glass.