Silver Mounted Victorian Claret Jug made in 1879
A splendid Victorian silver mounted claret jug. The hinged mount is engraved with cherubs to one side, and on the other is a central plain cartouche joined by swags of leaves and flowers.
|Made By||William & George Sissons|
Out of stock
A splendid Victorian silver mounted claret jug. The hinged mount is engraved with cherubs to one side, and on the other is a central plain cartouche joined by swags of leaves and flowers. The domed lid has a border of leaves.
The beautiful glass body is embellished with leaves and flowers surrounding a cartouche, depicting Amphictyonis the Goddess of Wine and Friendship between Nations.
Dimensions: height 25.40 cm
The firm was established in Sheffield in 1786 as Roberts, Cadman & Co. The firm was managed by Samuel Roberts Jr. (son of Samuel Roberts Sr.) and George Cadman (who served his apprenticeship under Samuel Roberts Sr.). A “sleeping” partner (only financial, until c. 1794) was the Rev. Benjamin Naylor. They were active as tableware manufacturers in Eyre Street, Sheffield, in the premises owned by Samuel Roberts Sr. The partnership, with the addition of George Ingall (1816), lasted until 1826 when was succeeded by S. Roberts, Smith & Co. The partners of the new firm were Samuel Roberts Jr., his nephew Evan Smith, his cousin’s son Sidney Roberts and William Sissons.
In 1833, the partners were Samuel Roberts, Evan Smith and William Sissons. The firm Smith, Sissons & Co., which succeeded following the retirement of Samuel Roberts in 1848, was a partnership of Evan Smith and William Sissons Sr. lasting until 1858.
The business was continued by William Sissons Jr. and George Sissons under the style W & G Sissons, entering their first mark as Henry Smith in London Assay Office in 1864 (8 Duke Street, Adelphi, WC). Other marks were entered in London in 1866 by William Sisson and George Sissons (9 Eyre Street, Sheffield and 8 Duke Street) and in 1887 by Walter Sissons and Charles Sissons (75/77 St. Mary’s Road, Sheffield and later on their London Showrooms at 34 Southampton Road and 3 Charterhouse Street, Holborn Circus).
Later, the firm was converted into a Limited liability company. In 1943, the manufacturing silversmiths business was transferred to Bell Reproductions Ltd (a subsidiary firm).
Roberts & Cadman (1785) and Roberts, Smith & Co (1828) registered Old Sheffield Plate marks with the figural symbol of the “bell”. The “bell” symbol was maintained by W&C and W&G Sissons in their electroplated silverware.
We provide worldwide postage/shipping and everything is fully tracked and insured. Purchases will be sent via Royal Mail Special Delivery, FedEx, Parcel Force, A-Z couriers; other delivery providers may be used in extenuating circumstances. We deliver to the address provided at the time of purchase but not to PO addresses, as a signature is required upon delivery.
Some countries levy import duties and local taxes. Payment of these is the purchaser’s responsibility and beyond the control of William Walter Antiques Ltd. When the container has reached the destination country, a customs representative will contact you for payment prior to delivery.
Import restrictions are applicable to some destinations, especially the import of products containing materials such as ivory and tortoiseshell. We cannot accept orders requiring shipment to any countries which implement such controls.
All items are checked and photographed prior to packaging, and we aim to dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payment.
For the UK £15.00
For Europe £30.00
For the rest of World £50.00
The charges are subject to change
At the heart of William Walter Antiques is our dedication to providing our customers with beautiful silver of supreme quality, which celebrates all that is precious about sterling silver. Customer service also being paramount, our long-standing, devoted staff team go above and beyond the call of duty for all our clients. We believe it is this combination of passion and commitment that has kept our customers with us for many years.
We accept credit/debit cards or bank transfer. Please submit an enquiry below or contact us on:
+44 (0) 207 242 3248
Visit us at the London Silver Vaults
William Walter Antiques,
London Silver Vaults,
53-64 Chancery Lane,
London, WC2A 1QS
Mon – Fri: 10:00 – 17:00
Sat: 09:00 – 12.30
Would you like something similar?
Create an alert for a similar product