John Tapley & Son
John Spark(e)s Tapley entered his first mark on 7th December 1833. Trading with his sons Spark(e)s William Tapley and George Tapley as John Tapley & Co, manufacturing silversmith, he appears to have moved to 4 Horse Shoe Court, Ludgate Hill, in 1835 alongside the newly rebuilt premises of Rundell, Bridge & Co the royal goldsmiths of 32 Ludgate Hill.
Upon George Tapley retiring from the partnership on 9th August 1842, the firm was styles John Tapley & Son. They moved to 40 Roupell Street, Cornwall Road, Waterloo Road, by 30th September 1844, listed as manufacturing silversmiths.
Sparke(e)s William Tapley left his father in the summer of 1845, entered his own mark from 4 Wyndham Road, Camberwell New Road, Camberwell . John Tapley meanwhile continued to be listed as a silversmith at 40 Roupell Street until 1857 although Robert Tagg, presumed to be Tapley’s successor, had already, designated as his manufactory.
Probably the most notable pieces of plate bearing john Tapley’s mark are two silver-gilt chargers of 1840 and 1841 in the collection of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, Other items noted include the silver-gilt model of Eton College Chapel made for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell in 1834 on the instructions of William IV by whom it was presented to the College , a pair of salt cellars and a pair of wine coasters, both London , 1848 retailed by Robert Green & Co, successors to Green, Ward & Green , of 20 Cockspur Street, Pall Mall and a teapot, London , 1852 both retailed by Makepeace & Walford of 5 Serle Street, Lincoln’s Inn Fields.