The firm was established in 1843 at 26 1/2 Seckforde Street, Clerkenwell by George John Richards (c.1817 - 1876), son of William Richards (silversmith, Citizen and Goldsmith).
George John Richards obtained his freedom of the Goldsmiths' Company by Patrimony in 1839 and entered his first mark on 16 May 1844.
In 1850 he moved to 35 Whiskin Street and in 1853 to 20 Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell.
In 1857 George J. Richards entered in partnership with Edward Charles Brown registering a conjoined mark on 13 July 1857.
Edward C. Brown was an apprentice (1845) of George J. Richards who obtained his freedom by Service in 1852.
Another apprentice was William Comyns (1849) who obtained his freedom in 1856.
George J. Richards retired in 1867 and Edward Charles Brown continued the activity trading as Richards & Brown.