The firm Aldwinckle & Slater originated with Henry Holland (Sr., born 1806) who entered his first mark in 1838 at London Goldsmiths' Hall and traded as a partnership with Thomas Frercks at 13 Lower Smiths Street, Clerkenwell. Thomas Frercks retired in 1841. His elder son Henry Holland (Jr., born 1830) obtained his freedom of the Goldsmiths' Company in 1851 and entered in the business with his father becoming Henry Holland & Son.
In 1866, Henry Holland & Son bought Elizabeth Eaton & Son and moved to 16 Jewin Crescent, Aldersgate Street. Henry Holland (Sr.) retired from the business c. 1880 and the firm became Holland, Son & Slater.
In 1883, Henry Holland (Jr.) retired and the firm became Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater, with Slater's sons, Alfred Thomas Slater and Walter Brindley Slater, as additional partners. The firm expanded by purchasing Chawner & Co (premises at 18 Hosier Lane, Smithfield) in 1883 and Robert Hennel & Sons (86 Charlotte Street , Fitzroy Square) in 1887. James Slater retired in 1884 leaving Alfred Thomas Slater and John Aldwinckle as senior partners. John Aldwinckle died in 1894 and Henry Arthur Holland (son of Henry Holland Jr.) became partner in the firm.
In c. 1922, the firm was bought by Francis Higgins & Son Ltd (9 Newman Street, Oxford Street) where Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater continued to operate under its own name until 1932.