No products were found matching your selection.
Dorothy Sarbitt (sometimes Sarbit) was an English silversmith; she also produced work under the name Dorothy Mills. Sarbitt was first married to large worker Hugh Mills, and after his death, registered a mark as Dorothy Mills on 6 April 1752 (at which time she was classified as a large worker and as a widow). Evidence exists that she had, by this time, entered a partnership with goldsmith Thomas Sarbitt - a mark from 1746-47 attests to this, as does another registered in 1748 - 49. She registered a second mark of her own as Dorothy Sarbitt on 13 December 1753. An address of Saffron Hill is listed for at least part of her career. It appears that Thomas Sarbitt had retired or died by 1752. The following year Dorothy married John Sarbitt, whose relation to the other is unknown. No record of her hallmark is known past 1754, indicating that she may have closed the business down in that year. A George II sauce boat hallmarked "Dorothy Mills", produced in conjunction with Thomas Sarbitt and dating to 1748, is owned by the National Museum of Women in the Arts. The same institution owns several pieces hallmarked "Dorothy Sarbitt", including a pair of George II salvers from 1753 and another George II salver from 1754. The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is possessed of a cream jug attributed to Mills and Sarbitt and dated 1749/50. A tray possibly made by Dorothy Sarbitt in conjunction with Daniel Shaw, dated 1754, is in the collection of Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens.