The business was established in 1781 as gilt button makers, and was carried on by James Deykin and William Henry Deykin until 1848.
The firm was active in its factory (Venetian Works, 5 and 6 Jennens Row, Dale End, Birmingham), mainly as a buttons manufacturer until 1854 when production of electroplated wares was introduced. At this time, the firm traded as J. & W. Deykin (buttons) and Deykin & Sons (electroplated wares) under the partnership of James Deykin and William Redfern Deykin. The production of buttons was abandoned in 1877.
From 1871, the firm had a showroom in London and in 1895 became Deykin & Harrison, under the partnership of William R. Deykin and Walter Andrew Harrison.
In 1907, the business was transformed into a limited liability company under the style Deykin & Harrison Ltd. The firm was active until the late 1930s.