FA243x34
FA243x34
FA243x34a
FA243x34b
FA243x34c
FA243x34d
FA243x34e
FA243x34f
FA243x34ff
FA243x34g
FA243x34gg
FA243x34h
FA243x34hh
FA243x34hhh
FA243x34hhhh
FA243x34hhhhh
FA243x34m
FA243x34mm
FA243x34mmm
FA243x34mmmm

Antique Silver Victorian Feather Edge Pattern Canteen of Cutlery / Flatware made in 1894-96

£12,500

A very fine and extensive Victorian silver handmade feather edge pattern flatware service for 12 with additional fish knives and forks, fruit/dessert knives and forks and serving pieces.

Date 1894 - 1896
Made By Aldwinckle & Slater, George Maudsley Jackson, Richard Comyns
Location London
Stock Number FA243x34
ENQUIRE ABOUT THIS PIECE
icon icon icon
FA243x34
Date:
1894 - 1896
Maker: Aldwinckle & Slater, George Maudsley Jackson, Richard Comyns
£12,500
Description

A very fine and extensive Victorian silver handmade feather edge pattern flatware service for 12 with additional fish knives and forks, fruit/dessert knives and forks and serving pieces.

This very attractive flatware service is in the old English feather edge pattern and all the silver items are crafted by George Maudsley Jackson in London in 1894-96 (the soup ladle made in London in 1773).

The fish knives and forks and the fruit/dessert knives and forks are all made by Aldwinckle and Slater of London between 1885 and 1887.

The silver-handled table and dessert knives are made by Richard Comyns in 1972 (stainless steel blades dishwasher safe).

The whole set is fitted into a very attractive two drawer canteen box on turned legs and everything is in superb condition.

Comprising:

12 table spoons

12 table forks

12 dessert spoons

12 dessert forks

12 teaspoons

6 egg spoons with gilt bowls

12 table knives

12 dessert knives

1 soup ladle

1 basting spoon

2 sauce ladles

In addition there are:

12 fish knives and 12 forks; 12 fruit knives and 12 forks with hand engraved blades and tines and bovine  bone handles.

Total: 142 pieces

Maker
Aldwinckle & Slater

The firm was established in 1838 when Henry Holland (Sr, born 1806) entered his first mark in London Goldsmiths’ Hall. Henry Holland entered in partnership with Thomas Frercks trading as Holland & Frercks at 13 Lower Smiths Street, Clerkenwell. Thomas Frercks retired in 1841 and Henry Holland (Sr.) continued the business on his own account.

His elder son Henry Holland (Jr. born 1830) obtained his freedom of the Goldsmiths’ Company in 1851 and entered in the business with his father changing the firm’s name to Henry Holland & Son.

In 1866, Henry Holland & Son bought the firm of Elizabeth Eaton & Son moving its premises to 16 Jewin Crescent, Aldersgate Street. Henry Holland (Sr.) retired from the business c. 1880 and a new mark was entered by John Aldwinckle and James Slater – the firm’s name being changed to Holland, Son & Slater.

In 1883, Henry Holland (Jr.) retired from the business and the firm was renamed Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater, with Slater’s sons, Alfred Thomas Slater and Walter Brindley Slater as additional partners. The firm developed its business purchasing Chawner & Co (occupying its premises at 18 Hosier Lane, Smithfield) in 1883 and Robert Hennell & Sons (86 Charlotte Street, Fitzroy Square) in 1887. James Slater retired in 1884, leaving Alfred Thomas Slater and John Aldwinckle as senior partners. John Aldwinckle died in 1894 and Henry Arthur Holland (son of Henry Holland Jr.) became partner in the firm.

In c. 1922, the firm was bought by Francis Higgins & Son and transfered its premises to 9 Newman Street, Oxford Street, where Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater continued to operate under its own name until 1932.

George Maudsley Jackson

George Maudsley Jackson was born in Lewisham in 1856 and died on the 1st February 1918.

He entered into partnership in 1883 with Josiah Williams of Josiah Williams & Co. of Bristol. He opened showrooms in London and entered his own assay mark. Following the death of Josiah Williams in 1894 the company continued to trade as Josiah Williams & Co.

In 1897 George Jackson went into a new partnership with David Fullerton. The company produced some of the finest quality silver flatware of the period in most of the traditional patterns, still trading as Josiah Williams & Co. of Bristol, but today generally known as Jackson & Fullerton. The company closed in 1940.

Richard Comyns

This prestigious firm of manufacturing silversmiths was originally established by William Comyns in c. 1859 when he purchased the business of Robert Tagg, an outworker of Rundell, Bridge & Co.

William Comyns, silversmith, subsequently moved to 1 Percy Mews, Rathbone Place, then to 16 Silver Street, Golden Square, Soho, and to Beak Street, Regent Street. Additional premises were taken from c. 1903 at 54 Marshall Street, Soho.

The firm became William Comyns & Son in c. 1885 when sons Charles and Richard were admitted to the partnership. William Comyns died in January 1916. The business became William Comyn & Sons Ltd in 1930, with R.H. Comyns as permanent governing director.

In 1953, the company was purchased by Bernard Copping and is now one of the few surviving manufacturing silversmiths in London, with premises at Comyns House, Tower Street, London, WC2.

Delivery Details

We provide worldwide postage/shipping and everything is fully tracked and insured. Purchases will be sent via Royal Mail Special Delivery, FedEx, Parcel Force, A-Z couriers; other delivery providers may be used in extenuating circumstances. We deliver to the address provided at the time of purchase but not to PO addresses, as a signature is required upon delivery.

Some countries levy import duties and local taxes. Payment of these is the purchaser’s responsibility and beyond the control of William Walter Antiques Ltd. When the container has reached the destination country, a customs representative will contact you for payment prior to delivery.

Import restrictions are applicable to some destinations, especially the import of products containing materials such as ivory and tortoiseshell. We cannot accept orders requiring shipment to any countries which implement such controls.

All items are checked and photographed prior to packaging, and we aim to dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payment.

Delivery Charges:
For the UK £15.00
For Europe £30.00
For the rest of World £50.00
The charges are subject to change

About William Walter Antiques

At the heart of William Walter Antiques is our dedication to providing our customers with beautiful silver of supreme quality, which celebrates all that is precious about sterling silver. Customer service also being paramount, our long-standing, devoted staff team go above and beyond the call of duty for all our clients. We believe it is this combination of passion and commitment that has kept our customers with us for many years.

How to buy

We accept credit/debit cards or bank transfer. Please submit an enquiry below or contact us on:

Phone Number
+44 (0) 207 242 3248

Email
[email protected]

Visit us at the London Silver Vaults
William Walter Antiques,
London Silver Vaults,
53-64 Chancery Lane,
London, WC2A 1QS

Opening Hours
Mon – Fri: 10:00 – 17:00
Sat: 09:00 – 12.30

Enquire about this piece

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or email and one of the team will be happy to help