No products were found matching your selection.
John Newton Mappin
Mappin & Webb is a true British treasure with over 241 years of tradition and historical significance in the world of silver and jewellery. Renowned for combining timeless craftsmanship with superior quality and contemporary design. Within a year, the first Mappin hallmark was recorded at the assay office and in 1780 Jonathan Mappin was given the Freedom of the Cutlers Company. The 'Cutlers Company of Hallamshire', to give it its full title, was incorporated in 1624 to provide jurisdiction over those making cutlery near Sheffield and to promote Sheffield as a place of expertise. The Company and Sheffield's cutlery trade and reputation still exist to this day. Jonathan Mappin's son, Joseph, followed him into the business and was also a Freeman, then came his grandson, also called Joseph. But it was under his four great grandsons, who incorporated the business as Mappin Brothers Ltd, in the middle of the 19th century that the significant expansion began - at the time, the youngest brother, Jonathan Newton Mappin, was only 14 years old. In 1849, Joseph Mappin opened his first eponymous London showroom at 15 Fore Street; shortly afterwards the eldest brother was knighted, becoming Sir William Mappin, but as the business grew the brothers each took a different path. Sir William Mappin left in 1859 to become the senior partner at Thomas Turton & Sons' steel mill and gave his share of Mappin Brothers to the other three. In 1860, John Mappin, the youngest but by now 22 years old, broke away from Mappin Brothers and started his own business - Mappin & Company. He opened the first Mappin store in 1860 at 77-78 Oxford Street, London. John Mappin was joined in the new adventure two years later by his brother-in-law George Webb. In 1864, Mappin, Webb & Co was formed, the very year that George Webb was to die. 'Mappin & Webb Ltd ' was first recorded in 1889, and at this stage the business was focused on manufacturing based in Sheffield.