Originally Grinsell & Bourne, the business took on this name in 1871 after the original partnership dissolved. They were manufacturing silversmiths based in Birmingham. John Grinsell went into business with his four sons in 1871, and they had manufacturing workshops in Birmingham, as well as show rooms in Holborn Circus, London and in Glasgow. They made a range of silver-mounted glass and stoneware, including lock-up liquor frames, biscuit boxes, butter dishes, cups, cruet frames, flagons, and salad bowls. They registered their trademark a "Cupid standing on a scroll" in 1879. Around 1905, they registered as a limited company under the name John Grinsell & Sons Ltd. They were later bought by Barker Ellis & Co. Ltd which finally went into administration in 1992.