James Charles Edington was a London based silversmith working from Soho when he entered his first mark in 1828. He is listed as a working silversmith in Leicester Square from about 1837 to 1862 and then as a manufacturing silversmith from 1863 to 1873.
Although the firm with his name kept trading, it seems that he himself had stopped working from about 1869, as Henry Stokes registered his own mark from the premises at that date. Stokes then moved to High Street, Marylebone.
The firm’s heyday was probably in the 1830s and 1840s, when it appears he was the chief manufacturer for Green, Ward & Green of Cockspur Street, a retail goldsmiths and jewellers.
The types of items bearing the Edington mark, and listed as having been sold by his firm, include a large pair of candelabra presented to the Marquis of Sligo, a sauce tureen and cover (1840), five salt cellars (1837), an ink well in the form of an oil lamp (1841) and a teapot and sugar basin (1842).