J. W. Benson, founded 1847. The prestigious firm of J.W. Benson was one of the most respected watch makers in London during the second half of the 19th century and was one of very few early wristwatch houses that was English, rather than Swiss, owned.
The business was originally set up by brothers James William Benson and Samuel Suckley Benson who advertised themselves as watchmakers, gold and silversmiths of Cornhill in the City of London.
As well as manufacturing their own watches and jewellery, they were also importers and retailers dealing in fine diamonds, gold and silver ware. After just eight years the partnership was dissolved in 1855 and J.W. Benson carried on alone. He took on additional premises at 33 Ludgate Hill and as the business grew, he added no. 34 next door. By the 1860s he was advertising his large and richly stocked shop with adjoining workshop as specialising, not only in the manufacture of watches and clocks, but also in their repair.