John Edward Terrey was an important English silversmith producing mainly tableware and presentation pieces. He crafted very few new items and would recuperate silverware by altering and re-chasing them. There are no records of an apprenticeship and he entered his first mark at Goldsmiths Hall as a plateworker in 1814, together with Samuel Hennell. After two years the partnership dissolved and Terrey entered his own mark as a plateworker, registering the address: Foster Lane. In 1819, Terrey moved to Hatton Garden, where he stayed until 1852, after which he moved to Lewisham, Kent. His death is recorded in 1859.