Hicklenton & Phillips (formerly Hicklenton & Sydal)
The firm of Hicklenton & Sydal was formed in 1910 by two former employees of Mappin & Webb. George Ernest Hicklenton, a salesmen at M & W, and William Sydal, the Jewellery Manager at M & W, set up business on their own account at 4 Queen Street, Cheapside, EC2. They were to become an important player in the London jewellery trade.
By 1928, the firm was in the hands of H G Hicklenton and S A Phillips. By the early 1930s, the firm was styled Hicklenton & Phillips and now noted as having another establishment located at 29 Cannon Street, EC4, and by the late 1940s at 83 Cheapside, EC2 (a location that must have been very close to the former premises of Goodbehere, Wigan & Bult, who were noted as at 85 - 86 Cheapside in the late 18th/early 19th century). In 1955, they moved to 6 Imperial Parade, New Bridge Street, Ludgate Circus, EC4.
Hicklenton & Phillips were responsible for many important commissions over the years, including the manufacture of the Mace for the University of Toronto in 1951 and a box that was presented to Sir Robert Menzies, the Prime Minister of Australia, by the Corporation of London in 1952.
Hicklenton & Phillips are still in business today as badge and emblem makers, based in Wimbourne, Dorset.
Marks were entered by the firm at the London and Birmingham assay offices.