No products were found matching your selection.
Frederick Elkington (Elkington & Co)
Frederick Elkington was part of a well-known firm of electroplaters and silversmiths. It is believed he join when firms concerted into a limited liability company in 1887 under the style of Elkington & Co. Ltd. with Thomas Henry Rollason recorded as managing director, and the following as directors: Frederick Elkington, Herbert Frederick Elkington, Hyla Garrett Elkington and William Lee Matthews, Sir George Scott Robertson, Gerard Bartlett Elkington and Andrew Binnie. During this period the company opened additional retail premises at 73 Cheapside, EC, which were opened in 1893 and then closed in 1925; St. Anne's Square, Manchester; 84 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, which were opened in 1898 and subsequently moved to Buchanan Street, Glasgow; Commerce Street, Glasgow; and at 32 Northumberland Street, Newcastle, which were relinquished in 1913. On 25 April 1907, Elkington & Co. Ltd. was registered as a new company under the same style. Elkington & Co.'s vast output over the hundred years after 1840 included all types of silver and electroplate, from table silver and domestic hollowware to fine display and artworks. Besides their original experiments, the firm constantly improved techniques, such as the perfection in the late 1890s of electroplating for decorative purposes on to glass or porcelain, a process which appears to have been pioneered in America. Elkington & Co. were probably the most frequently represented of all British manufacturing silversmiths at the many local, national and international exhibitions held between 1840 and 1914.