Viners origins date back to Sheffield in the early 1900s. Emile Viner, together with his brother, Adolf, a director of Viner's, Ltd., was one of the largest cutlery and silverware firms of the world. Viners Ltd was a well-established manufacturer of silverware, cutlery and pewter based in Bath Street, Sheffield.
As immigrant Jews, Adolf and Emile changed their name from Viener to Viner in November 1925. Also spelled Adolph Weiner when he was knighted by the Crown)
The company's manufacture of helmets and other war items is described in Sheffield's Great War and Beyond, by Peter Warr (Pen and Sword Books, 2015).
The hallmark for Viners Ltd. silver was registered to son Edward Viner: in 1932 it was “E.V” with figures and in 1964, it was “EV” with associated figures.
Viners - now part of The Rayware Group - is a highly distinguished and much loved brand, steeped in British Heritage.